The Master Cleanse Diet is a liquid detox diet originated in the 1940s by Stanley Burroughs and was first introduced via his book, ‘The Master Cleanser.’ The book aimed to teach people how to rid their bodily toxins and impurities.
Since then, the internet has made Stanley’s Master Cleanse a popular tool for achieving better health and more recently, a way to rapidly lose weight. Beyoncé, Demi Moore, Angelina Jolie and countless other celebrities have used the Master Cleanse Diet for these purposes and have endorsed its effectiveness.
The ingredients consist of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne powder and water. Different instructions for this diet call for slight variations such as liquid cayenne instead of powder. Another example of a variation of the Master Cleanse Diet is something called the Relaxed Master Cleanse, which allows for one or two regular meals alongside the Master Cleanse drink.
Its popularity has lead health brands to create an all-in-one Master Cleanse powder though the question of effectiveness and taste has been debated. Ultimately, the choice is yours and it should be made based on your own preferences.
If you are interested in giving this detox a go, below are all the steps to get you on your way to purification:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rich maple syrup
- 1/10 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 10 oz spring or purified water
How to Prepare the Master Cleanse Drink
- Mix all of the Master Cleanse lemonade ingredients listed above and drink the mixture. This is enough for one serving. You should drink a glass six to twelve times daily so it’s recommended you prepare a bigger batch to sustain you throughout the day.
- Drink an herbal detox tea once per day when on this diet. This will make up for the fiber deficiency you may develop by loosening and dislodging waste from the digestive system. If you don’t drink the herbal detox tea every day, you’ll likely get sick and quit the diet prematurely.
Risks and Rewards
The Master Cleanse Diet has become extremely popular due to celebrity’s use and praise for its ability to help shed pounds fast. There are two main reasons for its fast acting capabilities. One, it acts as a powerful detoxifier for the body mainly because the lack of processed and harmful foods will allow your body to release the toxins accrued in your body. Subsequently, this release and lack of calorie intake will result in weight loss. Another reward that comes with the successful completion of the Master Cleanse Diet is a colon cleanse. You will experience many bowel movements so it will definitely that will completely flush out your system.
On the other hand, there are risks involved that you should know about.
It’s possible that you’ll experience drops and spikes in your blood sugar and energy levels and your bod is experiencing a drastic shift in calorie intake and nutrients. Although you will get some vitamins and nutrients from the Master Cleanse diet, it doesn’t provide adequate amounts. Because of this, alternative versions of the diet are adapted such as the relaxed Master Cleanse Diet.
Another possible risk on this diet is tooth decay. Acidic and sugary foods like lemonade and maple syrup can rapidly eat away at your teeth, especially when you consume them every day. The best way to avoid this from happening is to brush your teeth frequently, preferably right after you have a glass of the Master Cleanse drink.
If your goal is weight-loss, once you’re done with the Master Cleanse, you should implement healthy habits into your daily routine such as exercise and dieting that include whole foods. Neglecting to do so will likely render the diet pointless.
Anyone who is diabetic, pregnant, nursing or taking prescription medications should consult with a doctor before attempting the Master Cleanse Diet.
Pre and Post Cleanse Preparation
Before you get started on the Master Cleanse Diet, it’s best to prepare your body for the shock. Like any other fasting routine, you should ease your body into it a few days before. The following steps outline how to prepare your body in the five days leading up to the start of your Master Cleanse.
- Eliminate all processed, meat, dairy, sugar, caffeine and alcohol from your diet. Eat whole and organic foods instead.
- On the next day, remove all foods except organic fruits and vegetables. If possible, eat only raw fruits and vegetables.
- On day three, transform your fruit and veggie diet to a liquid diet by making fruit and vegetable drinks. Vegetable soups are acceptable.
- You’re almost done prepping your body for the Master Cleanse! By day three, you should drop the fruits and vegetables and drink orange juice only. You may add one to two teaspoons of maple syrup to your orange juice if you feel hungry and crave more. Repeat this diet for your fifth day.
Salt Water Flush
Before you eat anything, begin every morning with something called a salt water flush, which is an important element of the diet according to Stanley Burroughs. Even though a salt water flush is proven to cleanse your colon, some variations of the Master Cleanse Diet doesn’t require it. If you have a history of serious digestive issues or high blood pressure, you should consult with your doctor before trying this.
To perform a salt water flush, here’s what you have to do:
- Get a jar with a lid and fill it with warm (warmer than room temperature, but not hot) filtered or purified water. The water must be warm in order for this to work.
- Add two teaspoons of non-ionized salt to the water. The salt can be pink or any other colour but it must not be ionized.
- Put the lid on your jar or bottle and shake it up to dissolve the salt. Check the bottom to see if the salt is completely dissolved, if not, keep shaking.
- Once the salt is dissolved, drink the mixture in one sitting. Ideally, you should finish it off within five minutes. The best way to do this is by taking large gulps to finish it off in about 30 seconds. A little warning: it doesn’t taste good at all.
- Brace yourself! Soon, you’ll feel rumbling in your stomach and the urge to use the toilet. This is good but you’ll have to hold it. Hold it until you feel that you can’t hold it any longer. Another warning: don’t pass gas! Plenty of accidents have happened at this stage so don’t let your guard down.
Now that your body is acquainted with a liquid diet, and you’ve successfully flushed your body, you may begin your Master Cleanse.
Life After the Master Cleanse Diet
Preparing for the diet is as important as easing your body off of it. This is especially true if you follow the 10-day diet. The purpose of this is to prepare your digestive system for solid foods again. If you fail to follow these steps you will likely feel sick. For the next five days, make sure you drink lots of water to keep you from getting constipated from the abundance of fiber.
- Back to orange juice! On the first day off of your Master Cleanse Diet, drink about three litres of orange juice throughout the day and include a teaspoon of maple syrup with each glass.
- Continue drinking orange juice with maple syrup on the next day.
- On the third day after your Master Cleanse, reintroduce organic fruit and vegetable juices to your body. Like before, you may also include vegetable soup or broth.
- You’re almost there! Now you may begin eating whole fruits and vegetables again.
- Now you may begin eating whatever foods you like again, however, you should aim for whole and organic foods.
Maintain your weight-loss and health by eating whole foods as much as possible. Try to stay away from sugars, caffeine and alcohol. Once you’ve successfully completed the Master Cleanse, you may feel motivated to begin any diet of your choice including a vegan or vegetarian diet however, whichever diet you choose ensure you get adequate vitamins, nutrients and minerals your body needs. If you can, begin taking probiotics for a healthy digestive system and overall health.
While you’re on the Master Cleanse Diet is it not recommended to over exert yourself however, once you’ve cleared the 5 days following, you should consider setting up an exercise routine. Get a fitness partner, gym membership or a fitness app to help you meet your goals.